Urinary Tract Infections Treatment in Lafayette, LA
What are Urinary Tract Infections?
A Urinary tract infection, or a UTI, is an infection in the urinary system that is typically found in the bladder. Urinary tract infections are more often found in women than men. The symptoms of a urinary tract infection can be painful and uncomfortable. Urinary tract infections are usually treat urinary tract infections with antibiotics and sometimes a medication to soothe the pain. The board-certified urologist at Southern Surgical Medical Specialties will take the time to provide a comprehensive diagnosis to determine the treatment plan for you. For more information, contact our urology clinic at (337) 233-6665 and schedule an appointment today!
Types of Urinary Tract Infection
- Kidneys (acute pyelonephritis): a severe kidney infection that includes symptoms that include high fever, bloody/cloudy urine and nausea and vomiting
- Bladder (cystitis): inflammation of the bladder, caused by a bacterial infection, results in frequent and painful urination
- Urethra (urethritis): burning urination with discharge
Symptoms of a Urinary Tract Infection
It is important to keep out for the following signs and symptoms to help identify if you are suffering from a urinary tract infection:
- A burning feeling when you urinate
- A frequent urge to urinate
- Frequent, small amounts of urine
- Cloudy, dark, or bloody urine
- Fever or chills
- Pelvic pain (more common in women)
It is important to contact your doctor if you are experiencing any signs or symptoms of a urinary tract infection.
Common Causes of a Urinary Tract Infection
The most common cause of a urinary tract infection is when bacteria enters the urinary tract through the urethra and begin to enter the bladder. This leads to the bacteria multiplying and may grow into a full-blown infection of the urinary tract. If the infection is not treated, it may continue on to infect the kidneys. Women are more prone to urinary tract infections than men due to having a shorter urethra, which allows a quicker introduction to bacteria to the bladder.
Treatment for a Urinary Tract Infection in Lafayette, LA
Doctors usually treat urinary tract infections with antibiotics. Symptoms typically clear up within a few days of treatment, but it may be recommended by your doctor to continue the antibiotics for up to a week or more. Pain medication may be prescribed in addition to the antibiotics that numbs your bladder and urethra to relieve the burning while urinating.
Tips on Preventing a Urinary Tract Infection
Follow these lifestyle tips in order to prevent urinary tract infections in the future:
- Drink plenty of water
- Empty your bladder as soon as you need to go and ensure that you have emptied your bladder completely
- Wipe from front to back
- Urinate after sex to flush any bacteria away
- Avoid irritating feminine products
Schedule an Appointment for UTI Treatment in Lafayette, LA
If you have any questions, or would like to schedule an appointment for UTI treatment in Lafayette, LA, contact Southern Surgical & Medical Specialists at (337) 233-6665.